Sunday 5 April 2015

To pie or not to pie?

Through the creation of my blog, I have learned that the pie means more to me than I had originally anticipated. The minced and onion pie has become a part of my culture, a part of my identity and more importantly the taste of home. Through creating this blog, I have realized that eat pies a lot more than I had first thought. The pie is my go to dish on a menu, the taste that reminds me of what it is to be British. Whether it is a chicken and gravy pie or even a steak and ale pie, I know with a pie what I am getting. I know that the pastry will be fluffy and crisp on the top; I know that the bottom will eventually become soggy because of the gravy and the dense meat filling. So why can't I comprehend the taste or the thought of a sweet fruit pie? Well, my guess is because I have been brought up on dense pies which are served alongside stodgy portions of potato. I guess what it comes down to, is what you've always known. My family has never been absolute lovers of fruit pies. As I have mentioned we have our own recipe but I would argue that as my family has evolved sitting in our local pie and mash shop speaks more about our love of pies in contrast to an ancient recipe. 

I suppose what I have discovered is that for me, there is only one pie. It doesn't have mashed potato on top; it's not served with rice and nachos, nor is it served with ice cream. It is served next to some slapped on mashed potato and covered in parsley liquor, it is the taste of London, but for me it is undoubtedly the taste of home.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment