Thursday 2 April 2015

Traditional pie and mash versus tourist pie and mash...

Image sourced from Google maps
It is clear to see that Pie and mash has indeed become a trend again and the taste of London that tourists long to try. It is the difference in tourist pie and mash, and pie and mash for the Londoner which interests me. Arments, the Pie shop I have been visiting for years is set just off a back street of Walworth Road in South East London. The shop is traditional in its ways, with wooden benches and long tables. On busy days customers share tables just to indulge in their meals. The beauty about this pie shop's location is that it is a hidden gem, there is very little to visit on the road, meaning that customers have to be aware of the shops location before they visit. As can be seen from the map the shop is set off a main road surrounded by residential properties. Arments closest competition is Manze's on Tower Bridge Road, which is equally as traditional in its serving of the dish. Growing up in  Bermondsey where these shops are located has caused a great divide in the area. On a Saturday, society splits. Some go to Arments and the other's go to Manze’s. What they have in common, is their destination at their favourite pie shop. It is the making of the pies and the layout of these traditional shops which allows me to question the purpose of high end pie and mash shops, such as those located in tourist areas such as Greenwich. On my exploration into this Cockney dish, I discovered a posh little shop in Greenwich. I ordered what I would normally order and the difference in the dish was remarkable. 

The dish looked amazing. The lid was made of thick puff pastry, the filling was chunks of beef drenched in rich beef gravy. The liquor was thick and the taste of Parsley was rich and detectable. The mash was mash. Again, it wasn't made as lovingly as it would have been in a mother’s kitchen and it lacked butter and milk, but it was mashed potato nonetheless, served perfectly in scoops. I wasn't keen on this. For me, I felt like the dish was trying to be made posh. I have to admit that upon visiting the shop, there were both Londoners and tourists indulging, so my opinion can only speak for my own experience. I felt that this London dish was trying to be sold as something that it isn't. On the menu which ran the length of the back wall, the choices were endless. There was the option to have gravy, beans and even a thick chunked steak pie. I never knew that this Cockney favourite could be so diverse. There was something about being in this shop, which made me feel like I couldn't enjoy my favourite dish in the way that I wanted to. I couldn't flip it over, cut it and fill it with chilli vinegar, this was a posh shop and people in posh shops don't eat pies like that. The image to the right shows one of the many advertising boards outside of this shop located in Greenwich, like I have mentioned before there is an obvious emphasis on the British element to this traditional cockney dish. What I believe shops like this try to achieve, is the tourist element. It is less about the generations of customers that have visited the shop, but more about the tourists who feel the need to try a uniquely British dish. The emphasis that this shop puts upon the 'British' dish is most enthralling. As I will unravel later this dish is not necessarily British, but it is a dish which is unique to London. Outside of London, there are few if not no pie and mash shops. It is this sense of London that I love, I feel like I enjoy a secret meal, with secret ingredients, on a secret backstreet. 
Image taken from Google Images

Here is a video of how the pies are made in Arments... 






No comments:

Post a Comment